SAG-AFTRA Members Vote Yes To Authorize Video Game Strike
SAG/AFTRA’s members voted in favor of a videogame strike. The union voted 98.72% in favour of a video game strike, which covers the work done by its members in the gaming industry. SAG-AFTRA reports that 34,687 votes were cast by its members, representing 27.47% eligible voters.
The vote doesn’t mean SAGAFTRA will strike, but it gives them leverage to continue their negotiations. If necessary, they can start a strike right away. This strike authorization is intended to give the union more leverage in its ongoing negotiations and, if necessary, allow it to begin a strike immediately.
SAG-AFTRA began negotiating the Interactive Media Agreement with “signatory” video game companies, including Activision Productions Inc. Disney Character Voices Inc. Electronic Arts Productions Inc. Insomniac Games Inc. Epic Games Take 2 Productions Inc. WB Games Inc. since last October. SAG-AFTRA states that “the companies refused to accept acceptable terms for some of the most important issues to our members including wage increases to keep pace with inflation, protections against exploitative use of artificial intelligence and basic safety measures.”
Next bargaining sessions are scheduled to begin today, as well as tomorrow (September 27) and Thursday (September 28).
Fran Drescher, SAG-AFTRA’s president wrote in a release that it was time to get serious and reach an agreement with the video games companies. “The result of this vote shows our membership understands the existential nature of these negotiations, and that the time is now for these companies – which are making billions of dollars and paying CEOs lavishly – to give our performers an agreement that keeps performing in video games as a viable career.”
SAG-AFTRA national executive director and chief negotiator Duncan Crabtree-Ireland says it has become clear to the union after five rounds of bargaining that video game companies aren’t willing to meaningfully engage on critical issues like compensation undercut by inflation, unregulated use of AI, and safety. Crabtree Ireland says, “I am hopeful that we’ll be able reach an accord that will meet our members’ needs. But our members have had enough of being exploited. If these corporations don’t want to give a fair deal to our members, the next step will be to picket.”
“Between the exploitative uses of AI and lagging wages, those who work in video games are facing many of the same issues as those who work in film and television,” chief contracts officer Ray Rodriguez writes in the press release. This strike authorization is a clear statement of our need to reach an agreement which will compensate these talented actors fairly, implement common sense safety measures and enable them to work in dignity. “Our members’ livelihoods are at stake.”
Following a unanimous recommendation by the SAGAFTRA Interactive Media Agreement Negotiating Committee, and National Board in early September, information on voting was emailed to all eligible members. Yesterday was the final voting deadline.
SAG-AFTRA previously called for an October 2016 strike by its members working in video games. It took almost one year for the strike to end before a contract was finally signed in Nov 2017. The contract was signed on November 8th, 2017 and expected to last until November 7th 2020. As reported by, however, a deal was made between members and employers to extend this contract through November 7, 2020. Variety.
In a press release, Gabrielle Carteris, then SAG-AFTRA President said: “We’re pleased that we reached this agreement.” The COVID-19 epidemic has caused disruption in the entertainment industry. However, work on videogames, which is largely done from a distance, continues. The extension will allow members to continue working, and provide some security during an uncertain period.
The extension will increase wages by 3.5% per year and health and pension contributions by 0.5%. Variety.
Bargaining began on October 20, 2022. The contract will expire in November 2022. This week’s negotiations continue, with the authorization to strike now in effect.
SAG/AFTRA’s authorization to strike comes just a few days after Hollywood’s Writers Guild of America union (WGA), reached a tentative settlement. The agreement has not yet been ratified, but it is expected to happen and end the nearly five-month long strike which began in May this year. SAG-AFTRA’s TV and Film arm started striking in July. It is still on strike today.
SAG-AFTRA states that the Interactive Media Agreement talks “doesn’t impact on our expected negotiations progress or strike for the TV/Theatrical Contract” or the strike vote.
#SAGAFTRA #Members #Vote #Authorize #Video #Game #Strike
